Tuesday, June 3, 2014

PB&J Protein Muffins

I have been experimenting a lot with a new flavor of protein powder from MTS.  Peanut Butter Fluff!!  So far everything I have made with it has been fantastic!! You really gotta try my Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookies! One of my best cookie recipes ever!

Someone on Facebook had used my recipe, tweaked it a bit, and made muffins from the batter.  I got to thinking...I love muffins!! I also love the peanut butter and jelly combo.  I tweaked the recipe a tiny bit more and came up with some amazing PB&J Protein Muffins!
I ate the whole batch for breakfast yesterday! At only about 260 calories for all 6, who wouldn't eat them all?!

I highly recommend using MTS Peanut Butter Fluff protein powder for this recipe, but if you must, you can use vanilla.  They just won't taste quite as peanut buttery.
In addition to the protein powder, you will also need any flavor jelly or jam, PB2, canned pumpkin, egg substitute, vanilla, baking powder, and sweetener if you want.  I find the MTS powder to be sweet enough on it's own, so I left out the sweetener.  
*You can use any kind of peanut butter or nut butter*

Keeping it easy as always! Mix together everything except for the jelly.  
Seriously love these little bowls.  They make baking so fun! 

I took a little taste of the batter just to make sure it was sweet enough and peanut buttery enough.  
I could have eaten the whole bowl!! 

I made 6 nice sized muffins with the batter.  You can make mini or mega muffins if you like! I suggest using muffin liners or silicon baking cups.  
Fill each cup about 3/4 of the way full.  Then take a small dollop of jelly and press it down into the middle of each one.  Cover it up a bit so the jelly doesn't burn on top.  It's ok if it peeks through a little. I used sugar free strawberry jelly, but you can use any kind and flavor you like.  You could even leave it out completely and just have peanut butter muffins.

Into the oven at 350 for about 22-25 minutes.  I hate waiting...
So worth the wait!! Eating these reminds me of being a kid! I think I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday for about 12 years straight! I still love them!!

Each delectable muffin is only about 42 calories! Like I said before, I just eat them all myself! 
They make a great breakfast on the go! Also, they freeze great so you can make up a few batches and have them all week. 

These muffins don't just look, smell, and taste amazing...they are quite good for you too! The whole batch is very low fat, low carb, and had a hefty 33 grams of protein.  
Store bought muffins are great and all, but I really like knowing what is in the food I am eating.  

The jelly hiding in the middle gives them the perfect amount of sweetness. 
Next time I will try grape jelly! Maybe apricot...or blackberry...or even apple butter! So many possibilities!!

PB&J Protein Muffins

  • 1 scoop MTS peanut butter fluff protein powder (30g)
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (120g)
  • 3 T egg substitute (46g)
  • 2 T PB2 (12g)
  • 2 T sugar free jelly (34g)
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • 1/2 t baking powder 
  • sweetener to taste

1. Add everything but the jelly into a bowl and mix.
2. Fill muffins cup with batter about 3/4 of the way.
3. Put a dollop of jelly in the middle of each muffin and push it down.
4. Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes.
5. Enjoy!!

 Makes 6 muffins - 42 calories each
257 calories for the whole batch
3g Fat
29g Carb
33g Protein 

No comments:

Post a Comment