Saturday, August 30, 2014

Quorn

In case you didn't know, I am a vegetarian.  Lots of reasons why, but I won't bore you with that now.  It is sometimes hard for me to get enough protein in my diet.  I eat a lot of protein bars, nuts, and protein powder, but sometimes I want some "real food".  I was browsing the aisles at the wonderful Target when I stumbled across some products by Quorn.
They looked fantastic! I was a little hesitant to buy because usually meatless products are kinda pricey.  

I emailed the company and they sent me some coupons so that I could pick out a few products to try and review!
I went to the store that day!!  I picked up the Chili, Chik'n Tenders, and Chik'n Cutlets.  Quorn makes lots of other products, but these were the only ones in stock at my local grocery store.  

Since it was about lunchtime when I got home, I decided on a chik'n sandwich to start the tasting.  I figured the Chik'n Cutlets would be perfect for this.  
I will admit, it didn't look too appetizing yet, but I was ready to get cooking.

 Now that is starting to look pretty tasty!!
I wanted to get the true taste of the cutlet, so I didn't add any spices or seasoning.  I simply browned it  in a pan with nonstick spray.  

I used a nice big roll, some sweet BBQ sauce, and a slice of fat free cheese.  
I bet I could have fooled my carnivore husband with this creation! 

I absolutely loved the texture! A lot of meatless options tend to be rubbery but this wasn't at all.  
It has been about 15 years since I had a bite of real chicken, but this seemed pretty close to the real thing! On it's own, the cutlet didn't have a ton of flavor, but with the BBQ sauce and cheese, it was a fantastic sandwich! 

Paired with a side of Popchips...perfection! 
Each cutlet is 80 calories 2.5F 5C 11P.  Those macros are awesome!! Enough to make a huge sandwich!

My husband and I like to eat dinner together, but it is hard to find something a carnivore and an herbivore can share.  We both enjoy salads so we decided on Chik'n Salads! He used real chicken while I tested out the Chik'n Tenders.  
 Each serving is just 90 calories 2F 9C 10P.  

 I wanted to add a little more flavor to the chik'n this time, so I used a little Mrs. Dash.  
I actually really like that these products don't have a ton of flavor, because this way I can add whatever seasonings I like! 

Looks pretty awesome to me! 
These cooked up so quickly!

I tossed the tenders on top of a beautiful salad! 
Homegrown tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumber.  Store bought carrots and balsamic dressing...

Once again, these had a great texture! Not chewy or rubbery at all.  
The little bit of seasoning I added was just enough to make this an amazing meal. 

This is the best meatless product I have tried so far.  I will absolutely buy the Chik'n Tenders again. 
I can't wait to try them in a stir fry! And a wrap!

Last up was the Chili.  Each box is one serving.
I was thinking these would be great to toss in my lunchbox for work.  

 Macros are pretty great for a big bowl of chili! 
Low fat and lots of protein.  

I have to warn you...I am not really a fan of chili...I usually just don't like soup, chili, or anything like that.  My husband was actually very shocked that I even got it to try. 
It was super easy to make.  Microwave and done!

 It had a great chili flavor.  Not too spicy which is good for me! 
Lots of beans, ground "meat", and big chunks of tomato.  
It was not my favorite, but if you are looking for a meatless chili, I think you would love this! Like I said, just not a huge chili fan overall.  

 I decided to try it with a little sprinkle of cheese.  That is how people usually eat chili right?! See...not a big chili consumer...
This was quite tasty! 

 I probably wouldn't buy this again, but I did enjoy this quick and easy lunch.  
Ah, I was missing the cornbread!! Maybe I will try it one more time when I have some cornbread for dipping :)

 Overall thoughts?! Quorn has some really amazing products!! I absolutely loved both chik'n options, and the chili was a quick and easy lunch! 

The best part is that they have so many other products!! Things like spaghetti & meatless balls, turk'y, burgers, and lots of breakfast items too.  

You can find their products in most grocery stores and I have seen them in Whole Foods too.  If you are vegetarian, or just looking for some healthy meal options, I highly suggest giving Quorn a try :)

Check out the Quorn Website
Follow Quorn on Twitter
Follow Quorn on Facebook

1 comment: