Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Modern Day Mary Poppins

I have been called "SuperNanny" on more than one occasion.  I get "Mary Poppins" quite often too!  I figured I would give a quick explanation of my job for those who don't know much about it already.

I work for a college professor so I am on "Winter Break" right now.  I will have lots of stories to write about once I go back to work. Trust me!!  I do work full time.  At least 40 hours a week as well as occasional date nights for Mr. and Mrs.  Sometimes when I tell people I am a nanny, they assume that I only work a few hours a week.  People also often assume that I am just doing this until I can find "something better" or "more professional".  That drives me crazy! I chose to be a nanny.  Even though I have my teaching degree, I do not plan on using it any time soon.  I LOVE my job :)

People also figure I just play with play-doh, color, watch movies, go to the zoo, play at the park, and eat gold fish and mac & cheese. Well, that part is kind of true!! Ha, I do have a lot of fun at my job, but there is also sooo much responsibility!! I know everyone has responsibilites at their job, but I have two lives in my care. It makes me very aware of how I act, what I say, how I drive, and basically everything that I do.  I have noticed that they pick up on every little thing I say and do.  I like to think that I will have a lasting impression on their lives :)

One of my favorite things to do with the kiddos is bake!

I love setting up a cookie decorating table so the kids can just go crazy!


Some peanut butter blossoms we made at Christmas time!
















We also play board games a lot!! And NO, I do not just let the kids win.  Ha, they need to learn how to be a good loser too.  I will admit though, the 6 year old beats me most of the time...

Classic games!!

Yes, I do have lots and lots fun at work! Although I have my share of "poopy" days at work.  And I say that literally!! Don't worry, I will not go into detail...use your imagination.  I know that this job is preparing me for when I have my own children :) Stay tuned for some fun stories!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you totally embrace being a nanny and that you LOVE it! Not many people can say they love their job. So awesome, Kim :) I always love hearing stories about the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For your own constant stressing and guidance of kids we now have made gentle rubber perform area no slip floors. Kids who are usually of higher hazard and therefore are naught are now being well kept by this particular. If the children fall about this flooring they're not going to get hurt as well as your worry is actually saved for another thing. SOFT RUBBER PLAY AREA NON SLIP FLOORING

    ReplyDelete