Sunday, March 16, 2014

Protein Fluff!

Ya know how sometimes you are in the mood for something cold and creamy and tasty?! BUT you want more than a tiny little scoop of it?! AND you want it to actually be good for you?! Problem solved! I give you Protein Fluff!!
This creation truly is magical. You will be amazed when you see how much volume you get from so little ingredients.  All you need is any kind of milk, any protein powder, and the magical xanthan gum.  You can find xanthan gum at most normal grocery stores in the baking aisle and sometimes in the gluten free section.  I am not exactly sure what it is, but it is basically a thickening agent.  It is used in milkshakes a lot to make them super duper thick!

Measure out 1/2 cup (4oz) of your milk of choice.  I use unsweetened almond milk because it has less calories and I really like the taste. You will also need 1 scoop of your protein powder and 1 tsp of the xanthan gum.  
You can use absolutely any flavor of protein powder.  I used a vanilla ice cream flavor this time. I have used cookies and cream, chocolate, vanilla, cake batter...I have only ever used whey protein, but I have been told any type will work.  In fact, I hear casein fluffs up the best!

Add everything to your mixer and set it to HIGH! A hand mixer will work but you will get pretty tired holding it because we are going to mix for 15 minutes! A hand whisk is out of the question...unless you are the Hulk...
 You can also add some sweetener and any other flavors you might enjoy.  I added some splenda and cinnamon to this batch. 
It is best not to watch it...it is more magical that way.  Just set it to high and set your timer for 15 minutes.

When the timer goes off prepare to be amazed!
 Now that is a lot of fluff!! It is basically a whipped cream texture. Very light and airy.  
Check out those peeks!! 
 Scoop it all into a bowl and stick it in the freezer for about 15 minutes so it gets nice and cold. Then it's ready to be devoured!! Whole bowl is less than 150 calories and an amazing 25 grams of protein!
 It is great just plain, but I usually like to jazz it up a bit.  Add some fruit, chocolate sauce, sugar free syrup, peanut butter, nuts, sprinkles...Basically whatever you would put on ice cream!

My favorite combo is just frozen banana slices and sugar free syrup :)

Protein Fluff

  • 1 scoop any flavor protein powder (30g)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk) (4oz)
  • 1 t xanthan gum (3g)
  • sweetener to taste
  • Electric mixer
Add your ingredients to the mixer and set on the highest speed.  Let mix for 10-15 minutes.  Scoop fluff into a bowl and stick in the freezer for another 15minutes.  Top with ANYthing and enjoy :)

150 calories for fluff without toppings
3g Fat
6g Carb
25g Protein




11 comments:

  1. Hmmm... well I tried this and unfortunately mine did not turn into magic :( - It never got fluffy in the mixer even after mixing longer than 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I am sorry! Did you use a stand up mixer? The electric hand mixers dont really work. What kind of protein did you use?

      Delete
    2. I'm having the exact same problem. Tried this 3 times and it never works unless I start with frozen berries (which I don't want to) :/

      Delete
    3. Works every time for me but I use my food processor.I often use frozen peaches or strawberries or bananas. If I add almond milk I usually add no more than ice cup to 1 cup frozen fruit.

      Delete
  2. I have a cheap Sunbeam mixer. You mixer looks like it might be a bit more high end. I had to use a full cup of almond milk rather than just a half to get the desired result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so bummed, this didn't work at all. I did exactly as written and mixed 15min in my Kitchenaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the protein powder. Some don't work so well...what brand did you use?

      Delete
  4. Put the mixing bowl in the freezer before starting. Get it really cold. Protein powders with a higher fat content don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried this with MTS whey? Thanks for answering (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, This is a good post, indeed a great job. You must have done good research for the work, i appreciate your efforts.. Looking for more updates from your side. Thanks
    vega one review

    ReplyDelete